ALWAYS HAVE A SPOTTER!
A spotter (chaperone) is an adult required to assist the costume wearer at ALL TIMES.
Basically, the spotter helps Safetypup® dress/undress and alerts them to any situation or hazard they may not be able to “spot” themselves. Spotters should be knowledgable in child safety & NCSC materials so they can speak for Safetypup®.
The spotter watches for:
- changes in the floor/ground, inclines, and debris.
- stairs, debris, or other obstacles.
- young children approaching for a handshake or hug.
- children asking questions.
The Spotter's Duties
- helping Safetypup® dress.
- alerting Safetypup® to any situation that the costume wearer may not be able to see.
- speaking for Safetypup®, and therefore should be comfortable working with groups of children and be knowledgable in child safety.
- holding Safetypup®’s hand or helping the character when walking up and down stairs and when appearing in large crowds.
- assisting with handouts and safely guiding young children to and away from the mascot.
ALWAYS have a Spotter!
The Instructor is the Spotter here!
The Spotter watches and assists with:
- changes in the floor/ground.
- inclines, debris, stairs or other obstacles.
- children approaching for a handshake or hug.
- children with ice cream, candy, drinks, etc.
- older chldren pulling clothing or pushing.
- puddles and larger bodies of water.
- answering questions asked of Safetypup®.
- any adjustments that need to be made to the costume or surrounding area(i.e. turned head, moving a cable, opening doors, etc.).
NEVER use children as Spotters!